Fort Worth International Adoption Lawyers
With our world growing closer together each day, many couples are turning to international adoptions to complete their families. The excitement of adoption can quickly become overshadowed by politics, red tape, expenses, and delays in bringing children to the United States. Without an adoption attorney working with prospective parents, these delays can extend months or years – if the child is granted passage to America at all.
The Maynard Law Firm, PLLC is a full-service family law firm with dedicated staff who want your international adoption to go smoothly. While many great adoption agencies do their part in streamlining the paperwork and vetting process, there are formalities that are best left for an experienced attorney to handle.
If you’re ready to begin the international adoption process, contact our firm at (817) 335-9600 to schedule your free consultation with one of our experienced Fort Worth international adoption attorneys.
Why Do I Need a Lawyer?
The process involved with adopting overseas is far too complicated for inexperienced people to handle alone. To give you an idea what’s involved with an international adoption, here are what steps you could expect during the process:
- First, the couple must identify the country which they’d like to adopt from. Note that Guatemala, Ethiopia, North Korea, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Nepal, and Vietnam have either outlawed foreign adoptions, have made adopting next to impossible, or have no paperwork processing agreement with the United States. India has temporarily frozen adoptions as well.
- Once a child has been identified, the process to get their primary caregiver’s rights terminated begins.
- While that process is underway, a home study on both prospective parents and the child is completed.
- Next, there will be a judicial determination whether the adoption will be in the minor child’s best interest. This may happen in one or both countries.
- Then, the parent and child will need to be classified as adoption eligible by the USCIS, or U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.
- After this, you’ll obtain travel visas for both the child and yourself.
- Finally, you’ll get your adoption finalized in Texas, provided the child was granted an IH-4 or IR-4 visa. Should they have received an IH-3 or IR-3 visa, the adoption is considered done in their home country, but re-adoption will be necessary on American soil.
These above-listed steps contain numerous smaller steps within them, making the process incredibly long and complicated. Some couples have tried the process without an attorney, invested hundreds of thousands of dollars, and either got scammed or never received their child. When this happens, parents have little recourse if they paid an agency overseas. You need an experienced lawyer if you want the international adoption process to have the fewest technical errors and smoothest outcome possible. A lawyer will be able to decipher international laws, figure out how to meet the adoption requirements of both the United States and the foreign country, and follow your case through to a successful completion.
Why Choose The Maynard Law Firm, PLLC?
Experience. Compassion. Commitment. These carefully selected terms describe how we handle international adoptions at The Maynard Law Firm, PLLC. Our mission each day is helping families who dream of sharing their love with a beautiful child from abroad.
Our approach is simple. We’ll start with an initial consultation where we’ll discuss your adoption needs. This will cost nothing to you, and you’re under no obligation to retain us. From there, should you wish to use our firm, we’ll walk you through the paperwork, studies, and all formalities until the process is finalized and your child is living in your home.
We handle all legal issues that may arise along the way. Our team will interact with American agencies, foreign entities, and any other governing body that may have forms or other questions regarding your stability, mental health, and ability to provide financially for your child.
International Adoption: What You Need to Know
Many processes go into adopting children from foreign countries. We discussed what steps may go into your international adoption, but there are other facts you should be aware of:
- Parents who wish to adopt should be aware of the Hague Convention. Designed to safeguard adoptions between two countries, the United States adopted the Convention in 2008. While adoptions are permitted between countries who haven’t implemented the Convention, American parents may receive greater protection if adopting from member countries, listed here.
- Roughly 55% of all international adoptions happen when children are aged 1-4. Only 5% are adopted under age 1.
- Costs of adopting intercountry can range between $20,000 up to $50,000 or more. These costs can decrease if the child’s home country doesn’t require the adoptive parents to travel to, or reside in, the child’s native land to handle legal formalities.
- The number one issue new parents should prepare themselves for when adopting overseas? Healthcare.
- The number one country Americans are adopting from? China. Number two is the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
- According to an independent study, most parents are matched with an international child within one year from their application.
- Domestic adoptions can take longer.
While some of these facts may be off-putting, bear in mind no two adoptions are alike, and many statistics don’t account for an attorney’s involvement. The Maynard Law Firm, PLLC works hard to make every adoption both seamless and timely.
Partner With Us to Complete Your International Adoption
It takes truly remarkable people to open their homes and lives to an international child. Because you’re willing to go through the process of making a child a part of your life, The Maynard Law Firm, PLLC wants to help with paperwork, home studies, and whatever other legalities come with adopting intercountry.
Whether you want our firm to handle the entire adoption from start to finish or you need help with one specific issue, schedule your free initial consultation by calling (817) 335-9600 today. Our Fort Worth adoption lawyers are standing by to help you form your family.