Fort Worth Alimony Enforcement Attorneys

If you or someone you know isn’t receiving the alimony payments they’re entitled to, The Maynard Law Firm, PLLC can help. When a couple decides to get divorced, many issues arise. One of the biggest stressors is enforcing alimony. There are various reasons why an ex-spouse may quit paying alimony. They may have lost a job, had to deal with medical issues, or simply just got tired of making alimony payments. While their situation may be sympathetic, it’s not right to stop payments without discussion. Stopping alimony can be a mere nuisance, or it can be detrimental to your livelihood. If this is the case with your post-divorce, it may be necessary to formulate a legal strategy to enforce alimony payments.

At The Maynard Law Firm, PLLC, our goal is to enforce alimony quickly and efficiently for our clients. We understand the importance of alimony and how much our clients may depend on it. Contact our Fort Worth alimony enforcement lawyers today at (817) 335-9600 to speak with a qualified member of our experienced legal team about the details of your situation.

Do I Need an Attorney?

Divorce is extremely complicated, and handling post-divorce matters is not any easier. Sometimes, enforcing alimony can be even more difficult than the actual divorce. While it’s true you don’t officially need an attorney for enforcing alimony, it makes the whole affair a lot easier on you. Trying to work things out with your ex-spouse without the legal assistance of an attorney may make matters worse.

The law provides several ways for you to secure the alimony payments you are owed, but those avenues are not always clear to non-lawyers. Lawyers understand the law and the specific requirements that must be met. They can provide answers to any potential questions you might have. And most importantly, they can deal with alimony negotiations, so you don’t have to. Having an experienced attorney guiding you through the alimony enforcement process will take an enormous burden off your shoulders and ensure that your best interests are represented at all times.

Why Us?

Alimony may be a key element of your livelihood, and its loss can create a dire situation. You need a law firm that you can trust to get it back. At The Maynard Law Firm, PLLC, our attorneys are here to provide you with the trust, compassion, and experience you deserve. Our mission is to help you understand your legal rights and what options are available to you during this process.

The attorneys at The Maynard Law Firm, PLLC are experienced family lawyers who represent clients all across the state of Texas. Our clients recommend us to others because of our high-quality legal work and our dedication to their case. Contact us today at (817) 335-9600 to schedule a consultation to discuss the enforcement of your alimony agreement.

Common Practices for Enforcing Alimony

If your alimony payments stop, it’s best to reach out to your ex-spouse. See if the problem stems from something different than an unwillingness to make payments. If this is the case, you may want to work out an agreement with an attorney that either reduces or stops alimony until the problem ceases. Be sure to communicate to your ex-spouse that, if payments don’t start again, you will go to court. However, if your ex-spouse stops alimony simply because they don’t want to make payments anymore, here are some legal options to enforce alimony:

Seek an Order to Enforce the Judgment of Divorce

To seek an order, you must first file a written request for court action, asking a court to make your ex-spouse pay the alimony you have been deprived of. If your ex-spouse refuses to make the payments, they could be held in contempt of court. While the first violation may result in just a slap on the wrist, continuous violations may lead to jail time.

A judge will most likely order payments to come through via wage garnishment (deducting payments from their wages or salary) or through some government office. This heightens accountability and decreases the likelihood that your ex-spouse will quit making payments again. Unfortunately, these motions can take months before reaching a conclusion.

Request a Writ of Execution

While a court order can help secure future alimony payments, you are still entitled to the alimony you have already been deprived of. A writ of execution can get you the accumulation of payments you’re missing. With a writ of execution, the court awards you the amount owed to you. It also issues an authorization for the sheriff’s office to access your ex-spouse’s bank accounts, allowing you to collect the amount you’re owed.

If for some reason your ex-spouse doesn’t have enough money in their account or simply no bank account at all, the sheriff has the authority to sell some of their property to ensure you get your money. The sheriff also has the option of just holding onto their property until the payments are made. Additionally, late alimony payments can lead to a negative credit score, which is a great way to incentivize your ex-spouse to pay off the balance.

Ask for Legal Fees

The process of enforcing alimony is complicated. It requires the assistance of a skilled attorney who is well versed in the law. While pursuing alimony enforcement, it’s best to also ask the court to award you legal fees. This removes the burden of legal fees from you and will require your ex-spouse to cover the costs that you cannot.

Contact Us

If you or someone you know is currently struggling with getting their alimony enforced, we can help fight for you and your rights. We understand how personal this situation can be. Our Fort Worth alimony attorneys will provide you with the trust and support you need to get things back on track. Contact an attorney at The Maynard Law Firm, PLLC today at (817) 335-9600 to discuss your situation and learn more about your rights and options under the law.