Fort Worth Modifying Alimony Agreements Attorneys

Alimony in Texas is enforced by the courts, and the order carries with it all the authority that the courts have. That said, these orders are not set in stone. Things can change over time, and alimony can be changed to suit the new situation.

If you need to change an alimony agreement, the Fort Worth alimony modification lawyers at The Maynard Law Firm, PLLC is ready and able to represent you. Whether you are the party owed alimony, or you are the one paying it, you have a right to seek a change to it under certain conditions. The Maynard Law Firm, PLLC can look into your case, find legal precedent to support you, and give you the legal representation that you need. To discuss your legal options, call us today at (817) 335-9600.

Why You Should Get A Lawyer

While you do have a right to seek a change to your alimony arrangement, there are legal requirements that you must meet and a legal process that you need to go through. You will have to get approval from the courts before the alimony modification will take effect. Failure to comply with the process will mean that your alimony situation stays the same.

Like many legal processes, the one required to adjust alimony can be complicated and unintuitive, so you will be best served by having someone around who has experience with the law. Lawyers have years of experience and education in dealing with legal matters like alimony modification. They know how to go through legal processes, and can get the approval of the courts in a timely manner. Let them put their knowledge and skills to use for you. Do not risk going through the process yourself only to realize that a mistake was made that will prevent the alimony payments from being adjusted.

Why Choose The Maynard Law Firm, PLLC?

The Maynard Law Firm, PLLC is a law firm with a great deal of experience with many matters involving family law, including alimony modifications. Our skilled attorneys know how to represent our clients best and have put their considerable skill to use for people across all of Texas. If you need to have your alimony payments adjusted, The Maynard Law Firm, PLLC is here to help you. Let us put our skills to use for you so you can get the result you want. Call us today to get started on your case. We can negotiate your alimony agreement with your ex-spouse and with the court to come to a workable solution.

Modifying Alimony Cases

Alimony in Texas can be agreed to by the parties at divorce or ordered by the courts. Once the agreement or order is made, it is binding. That said, it can be changed under certain circumstances.

Alimony modification usually occurs for one of two reasons. The first is if you are owed alimony, and your financial needs are not being met. In this situation, you can try to get an increase in your alimony up to the legal maximum. However, once you hit the maximum, you cannot get an increase.

The second situation is for those who are paying alimony. If you are unable to make payments due to financial hardships, you can seek a reduction in your payments. This can be done if you are fired, have your wages cut, or are unable to meet your basic needs while also paying alimony. Please note that you need to be truly unable to make the payments for this to apply. Simply being unable to afford a non-basic item or being unwilling to pay is not enough. Also, if someone intentionally reduces their income by doing something like quitting their job, this modification method will not be allowed.

If the parties can agree to a change in alimony, then the change can be binding. The court still needs to approve, and they need to find that there has been no undue influence of one party on the other, but once that happens, the change can occur.

You can also go to the court directly to get a change in your alimony payments. For example, if you lose your job and cannot pay alimony anymore, the court might reduce or eliminate your payments, at least temporarily. If you are owed alimony, and your spouse starts making much more money, you could petition the court for an increase in your payments, at least up to $5,000 a month. Make sure to pay attention to your finances and your former spouses to ensure that you can ask for the change as soon as you can.

Contact Us

If you need a change in your alimony payments, The Maynard Law Firm, PLLC can help you get them. Whether you owe alimony, or your ex-spouse owes it to you, we can give you the representation that you will need to get the change that you want. Contact our alimony lawyers today at (817) 335-9600 to set up a consultation with us. We can listen to your situation and start building your case to ensure your alimony agreement suits your needs.