Fort Worth Child Support Attorneys

Though the child support Order entered by the Court is legally binding, that is not to say that the Order will be properly complied with or representative of your circumstances years after the Order was signed. The provision related to the support of your children is generally subject to modification until the children graduate from high school. The child-support guidelines set forth in the Texas Family Code generally provide that the non-custodial parents should pay at least 20% of their net resources to the custodial parent for the support of one child, 25% for two children, and 30% for three children to help support their children.

At The Maynard Law Firm, PLLC, our Fort Worth child support attorneys can pursue any course of legal action necessary to enforce your child support Order or to modify that Order so that it will be more representative of your current financial circumstances. We know how critical the amount of support is to the ongoing care of your child, and we can help you make an informed legal decision about what will be in your child’s best interests moving forward. That being said, we can help you understand the implications of all your choices so you can make informed decisions about your child’s future. To learn more about how we can help, contact us today at (817) 335-9600.

Do I Need a Child Support Lawyer?

Although many parents attempt to navigate child support issues by themselves, it can be challenging to achieve the best results on your own. An experienced child support attorney understands the law and the way the courts tend to apply it. A child support lawyer can anticipate the arguments and tactics that the other party may use, and they will assemble as much evidence as possible to make your case for your child’s best interests.

If your financial circumstances have changed, it is essential that an order for child support appropriately matches your financial situation. If you need to enforce a support order or oppose a modification, a knowledgeable attorney can represent your interests. You will have the best chance of a favorable outcome with an attorney who understands the system and can present the facts of your case concisely and compellingly.

Why Choose The Maynard Law Firm, PLLC to Handle My Case?

To obtain the best results in your child support case, it is imperative that you choose an attorney who will aggressively fight for your position. At The Maynard Law Firm, PLLC, we advocate for clients so that they do not have to try to take on the burden of navigating the court system by themselves. We are proud to offer a full range of family law legal representation, including representation in child support matters. We strive to keep your interests and your child’s best interests in mind every step of the way.

Patton Maynard has a long history of representing individuals in child support matters. Patton obtained his Doctorate of Jurisprudence from Texas A&M School of Law and was admitted to the bar in Texas in 1995. Since then, he has gained experience across all types of family law issues, and he is well-versed in the laws in this area. Of counsel for the firm, Creighton Maynard, earned his Doctorate of Jurisprudence from the University of Baylor School of Law in 1961. With decades of experience, the attorneys at The Maynard Law Firm, PLLC are prepared to effectively represent you and help protect your rights.

We are pleased to provide a free initial consultation for your matter so that we can begin our lawyer-client relationship on the right foot. We will be able to advise you on the best course of action following an evaluation of your case. You can be assured that we evaluate each potential case with the utmost attention to detail to help ensure a positive outcome.

At The Maynard Law Firm, PLLC, our goal is to provide high-quality representation, and we strive to exceed your expectations at every point in the process. Our focus is on providing the best possible advocacy on your behalf, and we are dedicated to doing so with empathy and honesty. We are committed to aggressively representing your interests in child support matters in the state of Texas. Because of the broad experience, our legal teams have acquired over the years and the attention we pay to changes in the legal landscape, we are ready to advocate for you effectively.

Enforcing Child Support

Custodial parents can take legal action to enforce every aspect of the child support Order if the child support Obligor fails to provide the financial support he or she is supposed to pay under the terms of the Order. As difficult as it may be for you to take the child support Obligor to court, there is a good chance this may be the only way for you get the child support you are entitled to receive. That being said, we can help you take legal action to pursue every payment the child support Obligor has failed to provide.

Modifying Child Support

While the child support Order was likely to have been representative of the non-custodial parent’s financial circumstances at the time of the Order was signed, there is a good chance that the non-custodial parent’s financial standing has changed since that time. Bearing that in mind, the child support amount may need to be periodically modified to make it more representative of the non-custodial parent’s current resources and/or the best interest of the child.

Frequently Asked Questions About Child Support

Dealing with child support issues can be difficult. To help you, we have assembled the following list of frequently asked questions on the subject.

How much child support has to be paid?

The overall standard for how much child support should be paid involves a consideration of the best interests of the child. By statute in Texas, the starting point for addressing the best interests of the child is for the noncustodial parent to pay a certain percentage of their income. In many cases, the guidelines provide that the non-custodial parent is responsible for paying 20 percent of their net income for a single child, plus an additional five percent per each additional child). If the noncustodial parent has other biological children, that could affect the amount of monthly child support. If a noncustodial parent’s net income is over $7,500 per month, additional amounts of child support could be required.

Can the amount of support differ from the guidelines?

Yes. In order to deviate from the guidelines, there must be evidence that contradicts the understanding that the guidelines are in the best interests of the child. The law permits a court to order alternate obligations if the result under the guidelines is not appropriate. There are numerous relevant factors that go into determining what is just in this situation, including:

  • The child’s age
  • The child’s needs
  • The ability of each of the parents to financially support the child
  • All of the available financial resources
  • The custody and visitation agreement in place
  • Childcare costs
  • Alimony or spousal support
  • Employee perks or benefits
  • Health insurance provisions
  • Special expenses for a child or one of the parents
  • Travel costs for the parent with visitation
  • Debt

If you think your child support order should vary from the standard based on any of these listed factors, contact a lawyer for help.

Can we make our own child support agreement?

Usually, parents can make a written agreement together regarding child support, which is supported by Texas law. The agreement must still be in the best interests of the child before a judge will sign it. An agreement that parents make together that is approved by a judge is a binding commitment on the part of the obligor that can be enforced in court if necessary.

How long does child support have to be paid?

Typically, child support payments must be made until a child reaches 18 years of age or graduates from high school, whichever is later. In the case of a disabled child, payments may be required for a longer period.

Can visitation or joint custody be withheld based on failure to make child support payments?

Texas law does not permit a parent to withhold access to a child based on nonpayment of child support. However, there are other penalties that a parent may face for failing to pay, including wage garnishment, loss of property, loss of a driver’s license, and, potentially, time in jail.

What happens if a parent loses their job?

If you are responsible for paying child support and you lose your job, there are provisions under Texas law to address the situation. An experienced child support attorney can help you understand your options in this difficult situation.

Consult with a Child Support Attorney in the Fort Worth Metroplex

If your present circumstances have made it necessary to enforce or modify a current child support Order, you should reach out to a Fort Worth child support attorney at The Maynard Law Firm, PLLC, about what legal action you may need to pursue in order to make things right. To speak with a Fort Worth child support attorney at The Maynard Law Firm, PLLC, about your circumstances, please call (817) 335-9600, today, to schedule a free initial consultation or contact their office at